I feel like I’m officially a grown up, because I have a skincare routine.
I feel like that’s the first sign that you have your shit together. Well for me it is anyway. Never mind the fact that it’s the only thing I have together. We won’t get into that.
Anyway, skincare. I’ve never been great at having a routine to be honest. I was one of those people that unless I was having an issue with my skin from time to time, like dryness, or the occasional spot, I more or less left it to do it’s thing.
No that I’m getting older, I do feel that I need to put more time into my skin to make it look it’s best. I don’t have perfect skin by any means. Rosacea and psoriasis will do that to you, but it’s not bad either. And that’s all thanks to the following products and routine.
- Glossier Super Glow Serum. This serum is packed with vitamin C and Magnesium. Perfect for brightening the skin and reducing discolouration. Great for making you look more fresh faced in the morning
- Glossier Super Pure Serum. This serum has Vitamin B3 and Zinc to calm breakout prone skin and redness. I like using this in the morning as I feel it sets up my skin for the rest of the day
- Glossier Priming Moisturiser. I love this primer, it makes my skin glow and fresh, even when I’ve put on my make up. It isn’t a heavy moisturiser, so it’s great for people who have combination or oily skin.
- Burts Bees Lip Balm in Peppermint. Lip balm is essential for me. My lips get so dried out and sore with the slightest fluctuation in temperature. I really like the Burt’s Bees as it’s hydrating, without me becoming dependent on it. Plus the peppermint makes things tingly!
- Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser. As I mention in the video above, I haven’t used a lot of this as I’m lazy, but I’m getting into a better routine with it. This cleanser is really gentle but leaves my skin feeling super soft.
- Nivea Face Wipes for Sensitive Skin. This is my lazy girl option. I wouldn’t encourage you to use them as they’re bad for the environment and bad for your skin. I have one wipe left in my packet and after that I’m not buying them again
- Glossier Exfoliating Skin Perfector. The hype about this product online is intense. It contains Salicylic acid and Glycolic acid to transform the skin. I haven’t been using it long enough, but I’m going to persevere as the reviews are amazing!
- Glossier Super Bounce Serum. This serum contains Hyaluronic acid which can hold 1000x it’s weight in water. I like using this at night as I think it helps my next cream absorb into the skin
- Clinique Moisture Surge Cream. A well loved cream in my make up bag, this has really helped to get the softness back into my skin. I use this primarily at night as I feel it’s a little heavier, so I don’t want it blending with my make up during the day and clogging my skin.
Getting ready for a special event routine
- Mac Volcanic Ash Exfoliator. This stuff is potent. It is a pretty hardcore exfoliator, you’ve been warned. I would not use this regularly as it’s a harsh exfoliant, but every once in a while it’s great for hitting the reset button on your skin. I would use this approximately two weeks before an event, as it draws irritation out of the skin. So using too close to an event could mean your skin is still a little irritated.
- Ouai Scalp and Body Exfoliator. This is definitely a more gentle exfoliant that I use probably once or twice every two weeks. I’m not big on exfoliating as I think you should more or less let your skin do what it needs to do. But an exfoliating session every now and then can be good too. This is a really nourishing exfoliator as there is coconut oil in it, as well as sugar crystals that make the scrub. I’m a big fan of this product and would recommend it to anyone, even if you have sensitive skin.
- Charlotte Tilbury Goddess Skin Clay Mask. This is a clay mask that I actually haven’t bit the bullet and bought yet. I tend to get a few samples of it when I buy products so they keep me going. It’s a great mask for giving you smooth skin and reducing fine lines. I do this about a week before an event because again, clay can draw the crap out of your skin and you don’t need that at the Christmas party.
- Sephora Sheet Mask. I use a lot of different types of Sephora sheet masks, I think they’re lovely and nourishing and perfect for brightening the skin. I will you a hydrating sheet mask a day or two before an event, just to add extra moisture to the skin. If I have any spare, I’ll also use under eye masks the day of or night before an event to take the puffiness out.
Getting rid of a ‘situation’ routine
- We all get those angry situations from time to time. For me, I can get irritated if I have an ingrown hair (gross). This always happens on my legs because I epilate them. One of the best ways of taking care of this is to mix a little bit of Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream with some Epsom salts. Trust me on this one. The salts draw all that anger out of the area, while the 8 hour cream ensures that it doesn’t get dried out and sore. If needs be, I’ll put this on, cover it with a plaster and let it do it’s thing overnight. The next morning, wash off and put on a second round if needs be. Repeat until it’s no longer angry
- Toothpaste is also one of my go to’s if I have a zit, little bit of that over night to calm it down usually helps. It’s not a miracle worker, but it does help!
I mention it in the video above, but I’m on the look out for a great eye cream. I have wrinkles, puffiness, dark shadows, the works. I want something that’s going to knock it’s socks off. I’ve done a lot of research and all I know is that I’m confused! If you have any amazing eye cream recommendations, please, please, please could you leave them below?!